I baked some lemon and lime cupcakes yesterday. Usual cupcake recipe with the zest and juice of a couple of unwaxed lemons and limes in the mixture and buttercream topping. They were delicious.
Want the recipe? Here you go:
Lemon and Lime Cupcakes – makes about 24 cakes
250 g soft butter
250 g self-raising flour
250 g caster sugar
4 tbsp of juice from the lemon and lime (save half for the buttercream icing)
4 large eggs
Finely grated zest of 2 small lemons and 1 small lime (save half for the buttercream icing)
1. Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk until mixture is smooth.
2. Place the baking cases on a baking tray and divide the mixture between them.
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/gas mark 4 for 20–25 minutes until nicely risen and light golden brown.
4. Put the cakes onto a wire cooling rack, and leave to go cold.
Lemon and lime buttercream icing:
375 g soft unsalted butter
625 g sifted icing sugar
The juice and zest saved from the sponge mix
Edible cake decorations. I like holographic edible glitter.
1. Put the butter and half of the icing sugar into a bowl, and beat with an electric whisk until smooth. Add the lemon/lime juice and the rest of the icing sugar and beat again until light and fluffy.
2. Ice the cakes using icing bags and nozzles or use a spatula to spread the buttercream on.
3. Decorate with edible sprinkles or glitter.